Saturday, March 8, 2008

San Felipe Fortress in Puerta Plata March 8, 2008

I took a quick trip into Puerta Plata after the airport today to see the San Felipe Fortress. I not only found a very cool, ancient fort lying on the edge of the port, built to deter marauding pirates in the 16th century, but to my surprise I also found six of the funniest little Dominicanitos I've encountered yet! They first started out asking me for money, and then turned into these hilarious little posers, as you can see from the photo yourself. We got solo photos, group photos, photos in front of the Fort, photos in front of a statue, photos overlooking the ocean, and they even took photos of us. They finally said 'no mas', and we all enjoyed ice cream together sitting by the ocean. As I drove off, they chased after my car, waving hands and running their little piernas as fast as they could. It was a delightful parting and even though I was denied a tour of the 1880's Brugal Rum Factory (not open on weekends) afterward, my experience in P.P. sent me back to Cabarete with a big smile.

No comments: