Saturday, June 14, 2008

From the Beach to the Big Scary Capital

Toshy found a good home on the beach in Pochomil with a 22-year old local surfer named Evelio. Evelio was happy to take in Tosh, and I was getting extremely worried knowing that he would not be allowed on the bus to San Salvador or the plane ride home with the pet embargo in effect during the summer months. Unfortunately - or fortunately - he had grown so big and healthy that he no longer could fit underneath the seat of the plane. I cried my eyes out the entire morning and promptly left the yard I left him in with his new owner with sunglasses trying to cover my wet, red, puffy eyes. I cried on the bus all the way until I arrived in Managua and had to start worrying about my safety. I had spoken to my friend Norlan, whom I'd met in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica last January, and we'd been communicating since. He came to pick me up on his motorcycle from the bus terminal, thank God, as I was waiting for him to come, two disgusting men got in my face and insisted that I needed to "have relations" with them because as they claimed, Latinos are sooooooo much better in the sac! At first I kept my cool, but after a few minutes of their harassing, they became down right scary, putting their hands on me and refusing to leave me in peace. I used my best 'malpalabras' I'd learned during my travels, and then turned to two gentlemen I'd been chatting with before the creepy dudes came along, who helped me shew them off - although not without words and a bit of a fight. A few minutes later, Norlan showed up and I jumped on the back of his bike, glad to be with a trusting familiar friend again in a very large and scary city.

No comments: