Monday, June 2, 2008

Playa Conchal and the Familiar Town of Brasilito

Tosh loves to play on the beach. Besides eating scraps off the street, I think it may be his favorite thing to do. He's got a spring in his step every walk we take toward and along the beach. He prefers not to enter the water, but has been known to venture out after me, as I paddle out on my surfboard when he wants to come along. He also enjoys riding it back to land, and has very good balance for a four-month old puppy. Otherwise, he sits contently on the beach and awaits my return so that we can walk back to the room together. He's looking very good now, and almost like a healthy pup probably for the first time since he was born. While in Brasilito, Pedro Tosh and I hit Playa Conchal for the dryer part of the day, although still got caught in a downpoor one day, having to seek shelter under some old plastic tarp with holes, strung to a tree. It worked. My brother, puppy and I, all stayed at my favorite Hotel Brasilito, where I always feel welcome, and got to hang out with lots of old friends from town. It rained hard, and we were all bit by mosquitos, but still had fun. Lots has changed over the past four years since my first visit, but change is inevitable in developing countries. Even my favorite Wednesday night ritual of 'Las Brisas' had a different feel to it, however when I later asked my local pals about it and why they weren't there, they insisted that it was because of the enormous amount of rain falling that evening, as a very large Tropical Storm named Alma, was passing through during the week. See the following link for more info on it's damage. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-storm30-2008may30,0,7547125.story Brasilito always feels like my home away from home and I love spending time there, especially when I haven't been home in what feels like forever (or no time at all, sometimes). It was a nice place to be after my big bro. had to return back home and leave me to my solo wanderings.

No comments: