Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Air Stinks, it's Cold, Some Jerk Keyed the Entire Side of my Car, and I'm SOOOO Outta Here!

I found myself leaving home with my surfboard, laptop, backpack, and this time my dog, and was once again headed for the tropics!!! Luckily we arrived an hour and a half early and there was no line to speak of, because the Frontier counter staff checking us in DID NOT want to let Cosmo come along. First, they insisted that Cosmo was in a large kennel and that the charge for him would be double (which was incorrect). I was then passed on to the supervisor after insisting that I had consulted with both their website and a reservation agent prior to booking our flight, and that the charge should not be double, as he was in a medium size kennel. Second, the supervisor insisted that we need an additional 'mystery' certificate required by the Costa Rican Consulate, but he was happy to inform us that he'd already booked us on the same flight out tomorrow at no additional charge! I told him that I needed to know exactly what the 'mystery' certificate was, showed him a copy of both the airlines' requirements and the Costa Rican Consulate requirements for pets indicating that indeed no 'mystery' certificate was required. He made a few phone calls and then gave us the OK to board just as boarding for the flight had begun. when I arrived at the gate all flustered, he acted embarrassed and told me how strict Costa Rica is on allowing certain things including Hippies into the country. Upon hearing this atrocity, I asked "And how would you define a Hippie, Sir?". He said that it is a very difficult task, and that it is incredibly embarrassing to inform one that they are not allowed based on their judgement. "Hmm. Interesting." I thought to myself. "I'll just bet that lawsuit is currently underway". If anyone has any information regarding this suspicious Hippie rule, please do educate us all!

No comments: