Thursday, March 27, 2008

Soy Flaca

I find it warm and wonderful how the Dominicans refer to one another. You are often called 'Amor' on the street, meaning 'Love'. The best part about it is that there are no boundaries with this name. I hear guys calling girls, girls calling girls, and girls calling guys this name. It is a very typical way to refer to another person here in the DR when you don't know someone's name. My name apparently though, is Flaca, meaning skinny, not so much in a nice way. Delgada means thin and has a more beautiful connotation, but I am Flaca - plain old skinny. When my friends/acquaintances here are referring to me either directly or indirectly, they use Flaca - never my real name which they know. If they would let me choose, I'd choose Amor, Bonita or Delgada but I don't get to choose. That's the beautiful thing about the Latin culture, is that a name is automatically chosen for you that seems fitting, and that is what you are called. I'm Flaca.

No comments: