Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Nice Finale to My Cabarete Stay

I'm taking off for Jarabacoa this morning - just doing some last minute cleaning and packing. Yesterday I was able to spend an amazing day in the hills above Gasper Hernandez with the Gardiner, Esmiraldo, and his incredible family. I had actually planned to go on Friday, but I misunderstood the meeting place, so at 10 am yesterday morning Esmiraldo's daughter, Sobi, came to fetch me unexpectedly. I was just making my morning cafe con leche, so we drank a cup together upon her arrival, and then took a little car and then a motoconcho to the house up in the hills of Bejuco Blanco where I was promptly greeted with a fresh coconut to drink, and then introduced to the entire family, not just Esmiraldo's wife and daughters, but all of the aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews,
and even Abuela (grandma).
Sobi decided to braid my hair (which I swore I'd never have done) so I've attached the photo for your viewing and entertainment. We hung out, listened to music, and bathed/swam in the river.
It was interesting once again to return to my deluxe apt. in Cabarete with hot running water, a microwave, super soft Egyptian Cotton sheets, leather couches, and a flat screen TV with cable after spending the day in a beautifully tiny, bare, and basic house with a tiny tv, no running water, and an outhouse for a bathroom. I have felt spoiled the entire month, but never as spoiled as I felt today. It's time for me to leave Cabarete and experience real life in the Latin world.
Vamos a vivir!

No comments: