Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Joshy

Last weekend someone dropped off a sick little puppy in a small plastic grocery bag, hoping that some compassionate beach-goer would be able to care for it. Unfortunately, by Monday morning, no one had taken him home, and I could no longer let him wander the streets alone seeking food, water, and shelter from the hot sun and the bugs, with no one left to feed him scraps. I took him in and we promptly caught a ride straight to the vet in Coronado, with a nice Canadian named Chris who'd been surfing Palmar for the weekend but had to catch his flight back home. I've decided to call the sick puppy Josh for now, until he finds an owner and/or a proper doggie name. Joshy received a check-up, a flea bath, and his first series of vaccinations. We were sent home with a bottle of vitamins to be dropped in Josh's mouth every day in order to help replenish his sick and frail little body, and to help him grow his fur back on his drastically bare body full of ticks, fleas and mosquito bites. We also bought the appropriate puppy food for Josh, which he's been eating happily. I've checked with every one I know in town to see if they know of a family who could adopt him, or even a shelter. The replies have been a unanimous 'no', unfortunately, as I'm told that people do not like sick puppies here, however Josh and I rode the bus to the vet's office this morning with a woman who told me that Panamanians do like male dogs, so that's a plus for him! I told the vet of my situation, and is going to try contacting another fellow animal lover who lives in the City to see if she can care for him and help to find him a family. Anyway, I'm headed to Playa Venao once we find a safe place for Josh to live - I'm hoping for this weekend at the very latest. I've been told time and again how wonderful Playa Venao is for surfing, and I'm excited to go, yet sad to leave my casita, the garden of fresh fruits, Josh, and those I've become close to here in El Palmar during my perfect stay.

1 comment:

amd said...

Jenny...where R you??? It's been a while!

Worried Marky -- May 30, 2008