Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ometepe Island, Bugs, Rain, and more Bugs

I left San Juan del Sur Saturday morning with a fellow traveler I met in town from Honduras who spoke perfect English and perfect Spanish, and therefore knew that our journey would be a smooth one. It was. After barely catching the 9:30 am bus to Rivas as it was just driving off, we were on the first leg, and off to a perfect start. In Rivas, we promptly found a cab to take us to Rivas San Jorge to the dock, jumped on the ferry, and took a 40 minute ride accross Lake Nicaragua to the largest island on any fresh water lake in the world, Ometepe. Lake Nicaragua is also the only fresh-water lake to contain sharks! Yes indeed, the sharks migrated up the river at some point in time, adapted to the fresh water, and have lived in the lake for decades. I only stayed on the island for two nights and two days, as I discovered that hiking the second Volcano (Maderas) was just too muddy, as the rainy season started with a bang, and Concepcion, the larger of the two, is an all day event and is anybody's guess as to whether you'll have a view from the view point with the clouds most every day. I was happy that I didn't book a guided hike up the volcano for Monday, as I had the worst sleep of my life that night. You see, Pedro Tosh and I were informed that the first hotel we stayed in, no longer had rooms available upon asking to have the shower cleaned - there were disgusting long creatures floating when I showered which resembled worms from someones intestines and I couldn't do a second shower unless they were gone and it was cleaned with cleaner. Anyhow, the $7 Hotelito Aly, decided they were full upon our request to clean, and Pedro Tosh and I went to a $4 hostel, which was open to all bugs, and there were millions! I got no sleep as the bugs (gnats, mosquitos, and spiders) crawled on me, buzzed around my head, and feasted upon me the entire night - bug spray and all. When I arose in the morning, my blood was on the sheets from where the skeeters had filled themselves and I slapped them. Time to move on................ Back to Rivas on the launcha and on to Granada.

1 comment:

Please Pass the Green said...

Eek!! What a long night. And amazing to have sharks in a lake. That seems eery. For some reason it's not as scary knowing they're in the ocean. It's been a while since I looked at your blog, but I am back!! :)