Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Return Back to the States

The super helpful staff at the guest house helped me with all my packaging needs for my newly purchased souvenirs, and arranged for a cab to pick me up in plenty of time to take a little detour through the historic downtown San Salvador. The cab driver was early, as usual, and helped me with last minute taping of boxes, etc. We then jumped in his car and he proceeded to flatter me while showing me various points of interest around downtown. When we got to the zoo, he insisted that we get out of the car two different times to get a close up of the rare birds they had on display near the perimeter of the fence where outsiders could peer in through the tall chain link fence. Once we headed on to the airport, we had a wonderful chat about why in the world I'd want to still be single under my circumstances. Latinos do not find it OK that a girl in her 30's would still be single, especially without kids. I read that most Nicaraguans (I think it was like 70% or higher, and I'd imagine this statistic holds true for most of Central America) have their first child by the age of 20. No wonder I am such an anomaly to these strong cultured wonderful people. After much detailed explanation, he seemed to better understand my point of view, and then we made a promise that since I was cut so short on my time spent in El Salvador, that I'd come back again soon and he'd show me around and take me out to the beaches! We departed with hugs, kisses on the cheeks, and wishes of luck, health, and future travels. I felt teased by my great experience with the warm Salvadorans I only had 24 hours to get to know. For now, back to states until my next anxiously awaited adventure.......

No comments: